New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life” or “the company”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, maintains offices in all fifty states, and owns Seguros Monterrey New York Life in Mexico.
New York Life is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. The company reported 2016 operating earnings of $1.954 billion. Total assets under management at year end 2016, with affiliates, totaled $538 billion. As of year-end 2016, New York Life’s surplus was $23.336 billion**. New York Life holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 8/17/16).
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for over 170 years.
- The Business Relationship Manager owns senior level business relationships for a particular line of business and is the senior point of contact between IT and line-of-business business leaders. This role plans, scopes, and prioritizes initiatives to meet business needs.
- Additionally, this position will work closely with business partners to understand strategic directions, priorities, and needs of the assigned business unit, suggesting and facilitating innovative IT-based solutions that meet business-unit needs. This individual will provide internal direction, leadership, and accountability for Business Relationship Management staff overseeing the timely and effective management of various projects. The Business Relationship Manager will identify technology strategies and roadmaps aligned to business initiatives.
- This Business Relationship Manager position is specific to the following business Units: Corporate Finance
- Articulates business needs to all IT decision makers and influences IT decisions in support of business
- Provides transparency to business units on scope, schedule and budget adherence to a plan
- Serves as a single point of contact to business units for work intake, prioritization, demand management, financials and escalation of issue resolution
- Serves as primary intake channel of business demand; demand needs within LoB and demand needs from other LoBs (includes aggregation of Rough Order Magnitude – ROM)
- Prioritizes demand and plans projects across supported business area and assigned application clusters
- Assesses portfolio activities and compare to available resources and constraints
- Evaluates resource needs against demand needs and defines scenarios / schedules based on capacity
- Accountable to ensure initiative prioritization decisions are communicated throughout NYL Technology functions
- Ensures appropriate IT Resources are committed to initiatives, once they are prioritized
- Responsible for annual updates to the roadmap, as well as the process of periodically refreshing or creating strategic technology roadmaps
- Collaborates with OpEx COEs to ensure that project management and business analysis functions follows defined processes and procedures, and accountable for adherence to standards
- Strong business orientation with the ability to build and manage multiple business relationships at senior levels
- Strong process orientation with the ability to create and institutionalize robust, efficient, and repeatable project management practices, tools and support processes.
- Ability to manage demand from multiple clients, and source services from multiple providers (both internal and vendor)
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite applications
- Requires broad and comprehensive understanding of internal and external best practices
- Applies broad industry awareness to drive financial and operational performance across functions
- Possesses in-depth and strategic knowledge across the organization including knowledge of key strategies, the competitive environment, functional processes, and organizational dynamics
- Keeps current with industry trends, latest innovations, technology, and best practices within the discipline, and disseminates that knowledge throughout the organization
- Experience working in Financial Services Industry and in Investment Management is desirable,
- 5+ years of business relationship and project management experience
- 5+ years staff management is desirable
- Demonstrated experience with strategic and operational planning
- Demonstrated experience with budgeting process
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities
- Previous experience with finance platforms such SAP, treasury, tax and budgeting applications
- Decision Making Authority / Innovation Required
- Understand the organization's overall IT function and strategy, infrastructure, and technology capabilities; build an IT strategic plan linking IT goals to overall Business strategies
- Evaluate long-term goals and align IT with Business through building relationships with stakeholders
- Solve for a broad range of problems; taking a new perspective on existing solutions; exercise judgment based on the analysis of multiple sources of information and education and/or equivalent experience
- Makes decisions within broad guidelines and policies that impact own team and other related teams
- Collaborates with others to solve complex problems; uses sophisticated analytical thought and education and/or equivalent experience to exercise judgment and identify innovative solutions.
- Makes decisions that have cross-functional impact
- Leads directly or indirectly through managers and/or advanced level professionals; develops annual or long-range plans to align with functional strategies
- Develops other leaders
- Directs the resolution of the most complex problems or strategic business challenges
- Bachelor’s degree with relevant experience required
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or Project Management Institute (PMI) certification a plus